Position: Interpreter / Translator
Application Deadline: Applications will be assessed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled.
Project name: Promoting Reform Objectives through Technical Expertise and Capacity Transfer, Phase 2 (PROTECT2)
Employment Type: Service Contract, Part time (min. 120 hours/month)
Location: Kyiv, Ukraine
Reports to: Field Project and Technical Director
Language requirements: Native fluency in Ukrainian language; professional fluency in English language.
Remuneration: Fees are subject to negotiation and must not exceed established market rates.
- Interested applicants are asked to submit their cover letter and CV to email@example.com
- Please include the position title in your subject line and state your approximate salary expectations as a daily rate.
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted, no telephone enquiries, please.
Alinea is an international development consultancy providing technical and management expertise that helps people improve their lives. We work with governments, investors, companies, and communities to create lasting change. Over 37 years, Alinea has successfully delivered more than 1000 projects worldwide. alineainternational.com
Alinea International does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment and hiring process. All offers of employment or job opportunities with Alinea International that include any form of a request for payment of fees or collect information on bank accounts are fraudulent. Any requests for such payment or information should be refused and reported to your local law enforcement authorities for appropriate action and to Alinea International.
At Alinea International we value diversity, equity, inclusivity, accessibility and belonging in everything we do. We are an equal opportunity employer opposed to all forms of discrimination. We actively seek and encourage applications from people of diverse backgrounds recognizing that an inclusive workforce enriches our organization and achieves smarter, more innovative results.
Alinea is committed to the protection of children and vulnerable adults. Due to the nature of our work, all candidates will be subject to due diligence checks and extensive background checks where appropriate.
Women are strongly encouraged to apply
About the Project
The Promoting Reform Objectives through Technical Expertise and Capacity Transfer Phase 2 (PROTECT2) is an international technical assistance project, which offers short-term expert (Ukrainian and international) deployment and capacity to strengthening defense sector of Ukraine. The project responds to the needs of Ukraine’s defence institutions and agencies and focuses on building strong analytical approaches in gender equality; women peace and security (WPS); social inclusion; defence governance and planning, capabilities development and resource management in defence. To support the delivery of outlined scope of work, PROTECT2 is looking for the Interpreter/Translator, who will ensure the professional project support.
To provide timely and accurate translation and interpretation services of project-related materials, including:
- Translation of documents and briefings from English to Ukrainian and vice versa.
- Consecutive interpretation from English to Ukrainian and vice versa during small-group events with counterparts from the Ukrainian Government.
- Serve as the primary Interpreter/Translator for the PROTECT2 during its interactions with the civilian and military officials of the Government of Ukraine.
- Ensure efficient, constructive, diplomatic, and professional communications with project counterparts in the Government of Ukraine.
- Consult with technical experts and Team Leaders to understand specialized concepts to translate them appropriately.
- Translate from English to Ukrainian or Ukrainian to English relevant products to support the execution of the events of the PROTECT2 project.
- Participate as a Translator/Interpreter in PROTECT2 events (workshops, seminars, conferences, etc.) in accordance with the approved approach and methodology in a manner designed to achieve the objectives of the project.
- Proofread all translated documents;
- Provide advice on cultural and linguistic significance of statements, conversations, situations, and documents during PROTECT2 activities.
- Native fluency in Ukrainian language; professional fluency in English language.
- A university degree in translation or linguistics and at least 3 years of translation experience.
- Practical computer skills (MS Office package).
- Ability to work independently and to tight deadlines.
- Knowledge and practical use of computer-assisted translation (CAT) programs.
- Education and/or experience with terminology related to the defence and security sectors.
- Capable of working with and managing government-sensitive information.