PROTECT2 – Field Project & Technical Director
Application deadline: 30 September 2023
Position: Field Project & Technical Director
Employment Type: Management, Leadership
Location: Kyiv, Ukraine
Reports to: Canadian Project Principal
Remuneration: Commensurate with experience and qualifications; based on Alinea pay scales
- Interested applicants are asked to submit their cover letter and CV to Victoria Egorova email@example.com by 30 September 2023. Please include the position title in your subject line and state your approximate salary expectations as a monthly rate in United States Dollars.
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted; no telephone enquiries, please
At Alinea International we value diversity, equity, inclusivity, accessibility and belonging in everything we do. We are an equal opportunity employer opposed to all forms of discrimination. We actively seek and encourage applications from people of diverse backgrounds recognizing that an inclusive workforce enriches our organization and achieves smarter, more innovative results.
Alinea is committed to the protection of children and vulnerable adults. Due to the nature of our work, all candidates will be subject to due diligence checks and extensive background checks where appropriate.
Alinea International is recruiting an experienced, senior level Project & Technical Director to lead the work of the field team of the PROTECT2 project implemented by Alinea International in Ukraine and funded by the Canadian Department of National Defence.
About the Project
The role of Project and Technical Director is situated within Canada’s Promoting Reform Objectives through Technical Expertise and Capacity Transfer 2 (PROTECT2) project. This initiative is funded by Canada’s Department of National Defence and implemented in Kyiv, Ukraine. PROTECT2 is a governance project aimed at fortifying Ukraine’s defence institutions and responding to the priority needs of the Ukrainian Government. This Project operates within the framework of the Implementing Arrangements (2019), which were established between Canada and Ukraine. It is dedicated to promoting Euro-Atlantic standards and principles within the defence and security sector.
The PROTECT2 project is comprised of four intermediate outcomes as follows:
(1110) Women Peace and Security Increased knowledge and skills of the Ukrainian defence sector personnel to implement Ukraine’s 1325 National Action Plan (NAP) and other international commitments relating to WPS.
(1120) Defence Governance & Planning Increased knowledge and skills of Ukrainian defence sector personnel to develop and implement gender responsive defence legal, policy and planning frameworks based on Euro-Atlantic standards and principles.
(1210) Programming & Resource Management Strengthened knowledge and skills of the Ukrainian defence sector personnel to implement program-based, capability-based and gender responsive defence resource management systems.
(1220) Capabilities Development & Management Strengthened knowledge and skills of the Ukrainian defence sector personnel to forecast, acquire, manage, and sustain defence capabilities in a gender-responsive manner.
The Project and Technical Director will work under the direct supervision of the Canadian Project Principal. S/he will be responsible for the leadership and oversight of all personnel and activities in the field and have direct management and supervisory responsibility over the following personnel:
Core Team, dedicated to the administration, field management and rigorous implementation of PROTECT2 and comprised of:
- Finance and Administration Manager
- Monitoring and Evaluation Expert
- Systems Architect/IT Expert
Technical Team Leads, responsible for delivery of the four workstreams:
- WPS (1110), DGP (1120) and PRM/CDM (1210, 1220).
- Senior Policy Advisor
- Senior Gender & Human Development Expert
The Field Project and Technical Director will act as the primary point of contact representing PROTECT2 and Alinea (as requested) to senior-level counterparts at the Ministry of Defence, General Staff, Office of the President, the Cabinet of Ministers, the Verkhovna Rada (Ukrainian Parliament) and other relevant Ukrainian counterpart institutions. S/he will provide technical oversight and senior level leadership to the technical team and report progress, insights and strategic inputs within a senior leadership team including the Project Principal and Team Leads.
- In compliance with Alinea policies and the Alinea International Management Guidelines, manage all matters pertaining to the PROTECT2 field office including finance and administration staff, recruitment and human resource issues as well as leases, contracts and facilities.
- Manage from the field all project implementation functions, including financial management, work planning, procurement, recruitment, monitoring/evaluation, and reporting.
- In concert with the Project Principal, lead activity planning workshops and evolution of implementation strategies with the PROTECT team.
- With the support of the M&E Expert, ensure implementation of the project’s MEL Plan; monitor project implementation status for all workstreams.
- Work with the Project Principal and M&E Expert on the production of wrap-up reporting, analysis and the consolidation of data and analytics.
- Cooperate with the project’s GE Experts to ensure that opportunity for the integration of gender-based analysis in the thematic policy areas is fully enabled.
- Participate in the weekly GE meeting chaired by the Alinea Women Peace and Security Expert.
- Coordinate and consolidate inputs for financial forecasting on a quarterly basis.
- Employ best practice in assuring consistent and complete communication and coordination with the Canadian PROTECT2 project team.
- Ensure field deadlines are met for all planning and reporting requirements.
- Lead, guide, and mentor the Team Leads of the project workstreams in the execution of their respective projects.
- Prepare a consolidated presentation of project wrap-up for the Team Canada quarterly meeting.
Representation and Visibility
- Serve as the primary representative of the PROTECT project to the civilian and military officials of the Government of Ukraine, the Embassy of Canada, and the international community.
- In concert with the Project Principal, receive, evaluate, and provide recommendations on requests for assistance from Ukrainian government officials.
- Work with the Project Principal, the Communications Officer and other Alinea core staff in the production of communications and visibility materials.
- Ensure, under the direction of the Project Principal, that program plans and activities are closely coordinated with other national and international stakeholders working with the security and defence sector.
- Actively identify opportunities and support ongoing business development initiatives for Alinea in Ukraine and the region, in close coordination with the Project Principal.
- At the request of the Project Principal, represent Alinea corporately on specific mandates within the region.
- Provide coaching and ensure professional development of the field based PROTECT core team (as relevant) in the interest of optimizing project deliverables.
- Support and advise Team Leads in the management of their relationships with relevant stakeholders, and execution of their plans and deliverables.
- Lead the Performance Management and Development (PMD) process for Kyiv-based personnel under her/his purview in accordance with the program organizational chart, and in collaboration with the Project Principal.
- Oversee and ensure that Team Leads implement PMD process for project Experts under their purview.
Mandatory Academic Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s qualifications in defence /security studies, law, public administration, political science, international relations or relevant field (Bachelor’s qualifications will be considered if complemented with appropriate level of experience)
- Demonstrated working knowledge of the defence sector in Ukraine
- Demonstrated senior level management and leadership experience including a minimum of 5 years in positions of progressive responsibility working in an advisory capacity to the Government of Ukraine on reform-related issues
- Excellent oral communication and writing skills in English and Ukrainian
- Superiour organizational and interpersonal skills