The Field Support Services Project in Vietnam (FSSP)
Specialist on Energy Transition to support the in-country international assistance of the Government of Canada in Vietnam
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: 26 November 2023.
Position: Energy Transition Specialist
Employment Type: Consultancy
Location: Hanoi, Vietnam – Home-based with potential local travel
Reports to: FSSP Manager
Remuneration: In line with market rates
- A cover letter is mandatory to be considered for this position. The cover letter should effectively align your skills and experiences with the specific job responsibilities outlined in the position’s description, demonstrating your aptitude and enthusiasm for the role.
- Your daily fee USD or VND and current availability must be included in the cover letter.
- Click the “Apply now” link to upload your cover letter and CV (Curriculum Vitae).
- Only successful candidates will be contacted. No phone calls please.
About Alinea International Ltd.
At Alinea International we value diversity, equity, inclusivity, accessibility and belonging in everything we do. We are an equal opportunity employer opposed to all forms of discrimination. We actively seek and encourage applications from people of diverse backgrounds recognizing that an inclusive workforce enriches our organization and achieves smarter, more innovative results.
Alinea is committed to the protection of children and vulnerable adults. Due to the nature of our work, all candidates will be subject to due diligence checks and extensive background checks where appropriate.
Alinea is an international development consultancy providing technical and management expertise that helps people improve their lives. We work with governments, investors, companies, and communities to create lasting change. Over 35 years, Alinea has successfully delivered more than 1000 projects worldwide. www.alineainternational.com
About the Project
Given Alinea’s global technical expertise in providing support services in various countries around the world, including in Vietnam, Alinea has been contracted by Global Affairs Canada (GAC) to provide administrative, financial and logistical services as well as the procurement of goods, services and technical specialists through the Field Support Services Project (FSSP) in Vietnam. The FSSP improves the efficiency of the work of the program and project stakeholders and the impact of Canada’s international assistance in Vietnam.
The Vietnam FSSP acts in alignment with Canada’s Official Development Assistance Accountability Act, which aims to comply with aid effectiveness principles and deliver aid that maximizes its impact on development and poverty reduction. Further FSSP helps advance the implementation of GAC’s commitment to Canada’s Feminist International Assistance Policy.
In this context, the FSSP is looking for a Vietnamese energy transition specialist to provide long-term FSSP support that is responsive to the GAC’s development program needs in Vietnam addressing energy transition at the policy and project levels.
Based in, and working remotely from Vietnam, the selected Energy transition specialist will work in close collaboration with, and report to the FSSP Manager, in cooperation with the GAC development team in Vietnam. Local travel may be required. Responsibilities include the following tasks, but are not limited to:
- Provide technical analysis, advice, guidance and tools on energy transition (coal phase out, carbon markets, captive power plants, renewable energy, efficiency, etc.) to foster Canada’s engagement on energy transition and programming options in Vietnam;
- Provide technical analysis and advice to GAC’s partners by preparing energy sector studies, background papers, policy briefs, recommendations, reports, factsheets, etc.;
- Provide analysis and advice on environment/climate change policy priorities and programming options in Vietnam;
- Provide analysis, advice and recommendations on current or emerging and future energy issues to be addressed within the scope of the Canada-Vietnam energy cooperation, related to the Just Energy Transition Partnerships (JETP) support provided by GAC.
- Participate on behalf of GAC and assist in preparing Canada’s position for energy-related working groups, events and policy dialogue;
- Provide any other related services, as required.
The deliverables will be reports on energy transition analysis, technical guidance, guidelines, tools, trainings, meetings, workshops and monitoring field visits, based on program needs.
Duration, Level of Effort and Expected travel
Duration of the initial consultancy is approximately 12 months, expected starting of December 1, 2023, with an Estimated Level of Effort (LoE) of 10-15 days per month. The post will be home-based, local travel will be on an as required basis. The consultancy is renewable, based on assessment of quality of work, GAC’s demand, and available budget.
Academic Qualifications and Experience:
- Advanced degree in a relevant discipline, such as energy, climate, sustainable development, environment, or a related discipline.
- Additional training completed in the last 10 years in one of the fields of project management, international development, results-based management, conflict management, capacity building or coaching approaches (considered an asset).
- Minimum of 6 years of cumulative professional experience and a demonstrated track record in the sustainable energy sector, preferably related to policy making in Vietnam.
- Demonstrated experience in the delivery of technical assistance to governmental agencies and/or international organizations in the field of sustainable energy.
- Demonstrated practical knowledge of sustainable energy including the global discourse about the energy transition, Just Energy Transition Partnerships (JETP), overview of various energy technologies, as well as climate and energy policy making processes.
- Familiarity of key stakeholders in the energy sector in Vietnam.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Experience in working with international development assistance organizations;
- Knowledge of the GAC’s Environmental Integration Process (EIP), Canada’s approach to results-based-management; capacity development and building measures (conference, delegation trips, trainings, dialogues, etc.) and policy making processes in Vietnam;
- Strong analytical and critical thinking, research, communication and report writing skills proven through track record or published papers.
- Able to work effectively in a dynamic team environment (working both independently and as part of a small team).
To apply, and for more information about Alinea International, please visit our website: https://www.alineainternational.com/job-openings/