The Field Support Services Project in Vietnam (FSSP)
Specialist(s) on Environment and Climate Change to support the in-country international assistance of the Government of Canada in Vietnam
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: 26 November 2023.
Position: Environment and Climate Change Specialist(s)
Employment Type: Consultancy
Location: Hanoi, Vietnam – Home-based with potential local travel
Reports to: FSSP Manager
Remuneration: In line with market rates
- A cover letter is mandatory to be considered for this position. The cover letter should effectively align your skills and experiences with the specific job responsibilities outlined in the position’s description, demonstrating your aptitude and enthusiasm for the role.
- Your daily fee USD or VND and current availability must be included in the cover letter.
- Click the “Apply now” link to upload your cover letter and CV (Curriculum Vitae).
- Only successful candidates will be contacted. No phone calls please.
About Alinea International Ltd.
At Alinea International we value diversity, equity, inclusivity, accessibility and belonging in everything we do. We are an equal opportunity employer opposed to all forms of discrimination. We actively seek and encourage applications from people of diverse backgrounds recognizing that an inclusive workforce enriches our organization and achieves smarter, more innovative results.
Alinea is committed to the protection of children and vulnerable adults. Due to the nature of our work, all candidates will be subject to due diligence checks and extensive background checks where appropriate.
Alinea is an international development consultancy providing technical and management expertise that helps people improve their lives. We work with governments, investors, companies, and communities to create lasting change. Over 35 years, Alinea has successfully delivered more than 1000 projects worldwide. www.alineainternational.com
About the Project
Given Alinea’s global technical expertise in providing support services in various countries around the world, including in Vietnam, Alinea has been contracted by Global Affairs Canada (GAC) to provide administrative, financial and logistical services as well as the procurement of goods, services and technical specialists through the Field Support Services Project (FSSP) in Vietnam. The FSSP improves the efficiency of the work of the program and project stakeholders and the impact of Canada’s international assistance in Vietnam.
The Vietnam FSSP acts in alignment with Canada’s Official Development Assistance Accountability Act, which aims to comply with aid effectiveness principles and deliver aid that maximizes its impact on development and poverty reduction. Further FSSP helps advance the implementation of GAC’s commitment to Canada’s Feminist International Assistance Policy.
In this context, the FSSP is looking for a small team of 2-3 Vietnamese environment and climate change specialist(s) to provide long-term FSSP support that is responsive to the GAC’s development program needs in Vietnam which require the integration of environmental sustainability considerations into all its policies, programs, projects, and decisions.
Based in, and working remotely from Vietnam, the selected Environment and Climate Change specialist(s) will work in close collaboration with and report to the FSSP Manager, in cooperation with the GAC development team in Vietnam. Local travel may be required. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provide analysis and advice on Canada’s existing international development assistance (DEV) programs/projects Provide advice and recommendations on future environment/ climate change policy priorities and programming options in Vietnam;
- Provide analysis, advice and guidance on current or emerging environment, climate change and climate-smart agriculture issues as well as relevant development or changes to environmental policies and regulatory frameworks in Vietnam that may affect Canada’s development programming.
- Review project documents and provide advice on the integration of environmental sustainability into all GAC Results Based Management (RBM) planning documents, including Logic Model, Project Measurement Framework (PMF), Risk Registry, Budget and Project Management Framework;
- Provide technical advice, trainings, analysis, tools, etc. to promote environmental and climate change integration in programming and implementation of GAC-supported programs and projects, particularly at the provincial level with government counterparts and partners;
- Provide analysis and advice to assist GAC monitoring compliance with Vietnam’s legal and administrative requirements such as the Vietnamese Law on Environmental Protection (LEP), environmental assessments for DEV initiatives, the application of the Environmental Integration Process i.e., the Impact Assessment Act (IAA) and the Cabinet Directive on the Environmental Assessment of Policy, Plan, and Program Proposals, etc.;
- Assist GAC with project monitoring and follow-up on the implementation of environmental, climate change, climate-smart agriculture deliverables identified in project documents through field visits, review of progress reports, and provision of recommendations for necessary corrective or mitigation measures;
- Provide technical assistance to incoming missions from Canada including written and oral briefings and accompany field visits, meetings notes, field reports and recommendations;
- Participate on behalf of GAC and assist in preparing Canada’s position for environment and climate change related working groups, events and policy dialogue;
- Provide any other related services, as required.
The deliverables will be reports on environmental and climate change analysis, technical guidance, guidelines, tools, trainings, meetings, workshops and monitoring field visits, based on program needs. They will also involve environmental and climate change reviews across a range of subject areas, such as:
- Environment and climate change, including nature-based solutions, energy, and carbon markets;
- Agriculture, including climate smart agriculture;
- SMEs and cooperative development;
- Ethnic minorities and other vulnerable groups;
- Public Private Partnerships (infrastructure);
- Labour issues (women in the workforce);
- Women’s economic empowerment;
- Public Financial Management;
- Post-secondary education, training and skills development; and
- Banking and financial sectors.
Duration, Level of Effort and Expected travel
Duration of the initial consultancy is approximately 12 months, expected starting of December 1, 2023, with an Estimated Level of Effort (LoE) of up to 10 days per person per month. The post will be home-based, local travel will be on an as required basis. The consultancy is renewable based on assessment of quality of work, GAC’s demand and available budget.
Academic Qualifications and Experience:
- Advanced degree in a relevant discipline, such as environmental sciences, water and forestry engineering, agronomist, natural resource management, conservation biology or a related discipline, including climate change training.
- Additional training completed in the last 10 years in one of the fields of project management, international development, results-based management, conflict management, capacity building or coaching approaches (considered an asset).
- Minimum of 5 years of cumulative professional experience and a demonstrated track record of experience working (researching, analysing, problem solving, and reporting) on environmental and climate change issues in Vietnam.
- Minimum of 5 years of working experience in two or more of subject areas identified in expected deliverables above;
- Demonstrated experience in the delivery of technical assistance, including environmental impact assessment and/or strategic environmental assessment, development of related training material, tools and guidelines;
- Demonstrated practical knowledge of international and national environmental and development issues and contexts, government administration related to environmental issues and management; or
- Demonstrated practical knowledge of women empowerment in coastal resources, nature-based solutions level to increase carbon sequestration, land-sharing strategies;
- Demonstrated experience in project monitoring related to environmental, climate change and climate smart agriculture outcomes;
- Familiarity of key stakeholders in the areas of environment, climate change and climate smart agriculture in Vietnam.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Experience in working with international development assistance organizations and working at sub-national level;
- Knowledge of the Canada’s Feminist International Assistance Policy (FIAP) and Indo-Pacific Strategy (cooperation on climate change); Canada’s approach to results-based-management and capacity building practices; Vietnam’s regulatory requirements with respect to its Climate Change commitments made in Glasgow in 2021;
- Strong analytical and critical thinking, research, communication and report writing skills proven through track record or published papers;
- Able to work effectively in a dynamic team environment (working both independently and as part of a small team).
To apply, and for more information about Alinea International, please visit our website: https://www.alineainternational.com/job-openings/