DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: 17h00 on 23/07/2021
Employment Type: part-time (8 months)
Location: SURGe, Office, Kyiv and/or remote -depending on Covid-19 health and safety situation
Reports to: Project Director based in Kyiv and Environment Expert in Canada
Remuneration: Fees are subject to negotiation and must not exceed established market rates
Committed to Inclusivity and Diversity: Alinea provides equal employment opportunities for all applicants on the basis of merit.
Alinea is committed to safeguarding children and vulnerable adults. Given the nature of our work, candidates will be subjected to due diligence checks and to enhanced background checks as appropriate.
About Alinea International Ltd.
Alinea is an international development consultancy providing technical and management expertise that helps people improve their lives. We work with governments, investors, companies and communities to create lasting change. Over 35 years, Alinea has successfully delivered more than 515 projects worldwide. alineainternational.com
About the Project
Alinea improves the quality of life of Ukraine’s citizens, particularly women and girls, through inclusive, citizen-centred and gender responsive public sector reforms. This project builds on Alinea’s Expert Deployment for Governance and Economic Growth project and works with the Government of Ukraine to deploy Canadian and local experts to support reform efforts in priority areas.
The Environmental Expert will report to the Project Director based in Kyiv and work in conjunction with the Canadian based Environmental Specialist. This is a part-time position requiring provision of leadership and knowledge on the environmental implications and sustainability of Government of Ukraine reforms being supported by SURGe. The Environmental Specialist will work with the Reform Initiative leads and their teams to provide analyses, assessments, recommendations and required reports. Capacity development programming related to individual reforms will be supported as appropriate, with a focus on the main mandate of ensuring environment is considered within reform outcomes. Working under the direction of the international environment specialist specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Implement the project environmental management plan, under direction of the SURGe management team, in support of reform initiatives and activities
- Serve as a knowledge resource to the SURGe project team generally and all reform intiatives specifically, on strategic environmental assessment, environmental impact assessment and future generation impact assessment ;
- Complete, monitor and report progress of environment related sections within the SURGe reform development and implementation process, including the PIR, ERR, gaps and needs analysis and subsequent implementation steps
- Provide technical input, advice, implementation support to ongoing reform initiative leads/teams by:
- Meeting monthly with the reform initiative lead/team members to receive updates on reform progress, needs and implementation
- Providing feedback on environmental considerations that could apply to the reform and its implementation
- Collecting relevant information for agreed upon environmental considerations to facilitate reform implementation including but not limited to checklists, case studies, references
- Preparing level of effort and completion dates to integrate environmental related tasks to address identified environmental considerations and securing approval to proceed
- Integrating environmental considerations within the reform initiative as identified in conjunction with the reform lead and their team
- Follow up on the environmental scans conducted for each reform initiative
- Undertake an environmental scan of any new reform initiatives being considered by SURGe including:
- Completing the strategic environmental assessment decision tree to determine whether a strategic environmental assessment is required by the proposed reform under Ukrainian law
- Liasing with the reform sponsor to determine plan for undertaking a strategic environmental assessment of the reform if required
- Appling the environmental impact assessment checklist to any reform to determine potential impacts
- Provide environmental input/prepare relevant sections for annual work plans, semi-annual and annual reports as required by the SURGe project management team and support reform initiatives on their environmental reporting;
- Compile lessons and best practices from other international, national and regional initiatives to support strategic environmental assessment, environmental impact assessment, future generation consideration within Reform Inistiatives specifically and the SURGe project generally;
- Advise on, designing and delivering environmental input into capacity development activities in collaboration with the Reform Initiative leads, their teams and SURGe managment;
- Work with other team members, as required, in making representations to the appropriate Ukrainian government authorities on environmental aspects of reform or operational changes needed to complete and implement workplans;
- Develop and document any written material required (guidance, policy, powerpoint etc.);
- Discuss and explain environmental aspects of policies plans and programs with stakeholders including government officials (national, regional, local) the general public or specific target groups such as non government organizations, academia or private industry.
- Perform other environment related duties as required.
Academic Qualifications and Experience:
The Environment Expert must have the following minimum qualifications for this position:
- A University degree with a specialization in environment, biology or another relevant discipline OR equivalent experience working in environment sustainability;
- Level 2-3 – Advanced Professional Proficiency in English (oral, reading and writing);
- Knowledge of and experience with the theory and application of policy, plan and program strategic environmental assessment in Ukraine
- Knowledge of and experience with the theory and application of environmental impact assessment in Ukraine
- Knowledge of and experience with working with Government of Ukraine Ministries, especially the Ministry of Environment
- Knowledcge of GBA+ concepts and readiness to bring this approach to all work
- Past experience with internationally funded projects as an environment specialist.
Interested applicants are asked to submit their cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by 17h00 on 23/07/2021. Please include the position title in your subject line and state your approximate salary expectations as a daily rate in Canadian dollars. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted; no telephone enquiries, please. For more information about Alinea, please visit our website: www.alineainternational.com