Due Date for Applications: August 13, 2021
COMPANY: Alinea International (Ukraine Office)
PROJECT: Support to Ukraine’s Reforms for Governance (SURGe)
Project office name: Corrections reform
Partner Ministry: Ministry of Justice of Ukraine
Alinea International is committed to provide equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants on the basis of merit.
About Alinea International:
Alinea International is one of Canada’s leading international development firms, providing management and technical expertise to developing and transitional country partners on projects that promote sustainable growth and meaningful opportunities for people to improve their lives. Over the past 30 years, we have implemented over 370 projects in more than 65 countries.
Alinea International has two offices in Canada and 11 offices around the world, including an office in Ukraine. Over the almost thirteen-year of Alinea International presence in Ukraine, the team successfully implemented five international technical assistance projects.
About the project:
In October 2019, Alinea International launched a new five-year project in Ukraine: Support Ukraine Reforms in Governance (SURGe). SURGe is a technical assistance project in Ukraine, funded by Global Affairs Canada and implemented by Alinea International Ltd.
SURGe’s Ultimate Outcome is to help the Government of Ukraine (GoU) to deliver governance and economic reforms that better respond to the needs of its citizens. To achieve this, the Project will strategically enhance and strengthen the GoU’s reform management functions, namely its capacity to undertake planning and analysis of reforms that consider citizen impact and to implement these reforms.
Reform initiative and position summary:
The expert team assists the Ministry of Justice with the planning and implementation of the penitentiary
reform, which aims to promote more wider application of non-custodial measures to offenders who
committed minor or medium gravity offences and to create proper conditions for the detention of
convicts in penitentiary institutions promoting their rehabilitation and decreasing the risk of
For this reform, SURGe Project is looking for a Model Prison (MP) Project Manager to coordinate launching process of the model rehabilitative prison in Ukraine.
We are seeking a manager with a deep understanding of the corrections system in Ukraine as well as international standards in this area to support the Ministry of Justice to establish and fully operationalize the correction facility that will be a model for changes in the entire corrections system in the future.
Level of effort: Full time, Monday-Friday.
The expert will be based in Kyiv. The duration of the contract is 1 year.
For contracting (after the job offer is made), the selected candidate is expected to be registered as a Private Entrepreneur of the 3d group (consultancy services).
Indicative duties and responsibilities (scope of work):
Review and further elaborate together with MoJ the concept of the Model Prison (MP) that is based on rehabilitation approach and protection of human rights in the institutions.
- Review the plan for the MP launching were necessary.
- Agree the Concept and the plan with MoJ departments and management.
- Draft job descriptions (ToRs) and requirements for MP staff.
- Participate in the Head of MP and other staff selection and hiring.
- Develop the plan for inmates transferring to the MP and agree it with MoJ.
- Develop necessary procedures for MP operation.
- Provide advice to MoJ and MP management on the premises of the MP building/reconstruction.
- Undertake other related tasks as needed and as assigned by the Team Lead and management of the Project.
Preferred qualifications and skills:
Minimum 3 years of experience in correction system, of which at least 1 year in a prison or MoJ department or other authority responsible for prisons’ managing.
- Understanding of the principles of how the prison system and prison operates.
- Good Knowledge of the national legislation in the area and MoJ reform agenda.
- Knowledge of international treaties and other documents that set standards for the penitentiary system and human rights protection.
- Good command of Ukrainian and English languages.
- Experience of working at the management position in prison as well as experience of working for/collaborating with foreign projects/initiatives are highly desirable.
- Results-driven highly motivated expert with sound judgement and maturity.
Submissions must be prepared in English and delivered electronically by 17:00 Kyiv time on August 13, 2021 to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
All submissions must include:
Applicant’s CV in English (max. 2 pages).
- Applicant’s letter of interest (max. 500 words).
Please, ensure to state Model Prison Project Manager in the e-mail subject line.
Applications received after the indicated deadline and/or without letter of interest will not be reviewed and considered.
Please note, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for follow-up. We do not welcome unsolicited phone calls.