COMPANY: Alinea International (Ukraine Office)
PROJECT: Support to Ukraine’s Reforms for Governance (SURGe)
Project office name: SURGe
Partner entity: Government Office for Coordination on European and Euro-Atlantic Integration
Position: Project Management Expert (Border infrastructure development)
Due Date for Applications: September 03, 2021
Alinea International is committed to provide equal employment opportunities for all employees and applicants on the basis of merit.
About Alinea International:
Alinea International is one of Canada’s leading international development firms, providing management and technical expertise to developing and transitional country partners on projects that promote sustainable growth and meaningful opportunities for people to improve their lives. Over the past 30 years, we have implemented over 370 projects in more than 65 countries.
Alinea International has two offices in Canada and 11 offices around the world, including an office in Ukraine. Over the almost thirteen-year of Alinea International presence in Ukraine, the team successfully implemented five international technical assistance projects.
About the project:
In October 2019, Alinea International launched a new five-year project in Ukraine: Support Ukraine Reforms in Governance (SURGe). SURGe is a technical assistance project in Ukraine, funded by Global Affairs Canada and implemented by Alinea International Ltd.
SURGe’s Ultimate Outcome is to help the Government of Ukraine (GoU) to deliver governance and economic reforms that better respond to the needs of its citizens. To achieve this, the Project will strategically enhance and strengthen the GoU’s reform management functions, namely its capacity to undertake planning and analysis of reforms that consider citizen impact and to implement these reforms.
Reform initiative and position summary:
Ukraine committed to building the transborder infrastructure (13 checkpoints) across the EU-Ukraine and the Moldova-UA border. The development of cross-border cooperation is an essential object of current regional policy and a key priority of the European Union’s neighborhood policy. The basic principles of cross-border cooperation of Ukraine with the member states of the European Union are defined by Chapter 27 of the EU-UA Association Agreement.
- – improved infrastructure at 13 checkpoints on the borders with Poland, Romania, Hungary, Slovakia, Moldova and Belorussia;
- – fewer obstacles for business and travelers, both foreign and Ukrainian;
- – better connectivity for the local population;
- – increasing of export.
To support GoU office in coordinating this project, SURGe is looking for a Project management expert who will support GoU in developing strategic view on the border checkpoint infrastructure management and development.
Level of effort: Full time, Monday-Friday.
The duration of the contract is six months with a possibility of extension.
For contracting (after the job offer is made), the selected candidate should be registered as a Private Entrepreneur of the 3d group (consultancy services).
The expert will be based in Kyiv.
Indicative duties and responsibilities (scope of work):
Conduct a study (needs assessment) on issues related to border infrastructure checkpoints and integrated border management.
- Develop a target model of border checkpoint infrastructure management (who should be in charge – regional authorities vs customs office vs alternatives).
- Develop a vision on the further special development of the border checkpoint infrastructure (where to build new border checkpoint, which functionality and parameters they should have).
- Monitor the implementation on the current government’s action plan on the development of the 13 priority checkpoints.
- Ensure coordination and cooperation between all stakeholders in the border checkpoint infrastructure development and management, including governmental and non-governmental organizations.
Preferred qualifications and skills:
- Experience in project management not less than three years.
- Dynamic, independent, and highly-motivated
- Significant organizational skills, multitasking.
- Strong business analytics skills.
- Critical thinking and problem-solving.
- Good command of Ukrainian (must have) and English languages (must have).
- Understanding of Ukraine’s governance processes would be a plus.
- Experience of working with International Assistance Projects would be a plus.
Prior experience with border checkpoints or customs is not required. Though we expect basic understanding of the subject we very much rely on the consistent application of the common sense.
Submissions must be prepared in English and delivered electronically by 17:00 Kyiv time on September 03, 2021 to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
All submissions must include:
Applicant’s CV in English (max. 2 pages).
- Applicant’s letter of interest (max. 500 words).
Please, ensure to state Project Management Expert (Border infrastructure development) in the e-mail subject line.
Applications received after the indicated deadline and/or without letter of interest will not be reviewed and considered.
Please note, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for follow-up. We do not welcome unsolicited phone calls.