DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: September 10, 2021
Employment Type: Full-time, 12 months renewable
Reports to: PROTECT Field Manager (Kyiv)
Remuneration: Fees are subject to negotiation and must not exceed established market rates.
Committed to Inclusivity and Diversity: Alinea provides equal employment opportunities for all applicants on the basis of merit.
Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Alinea is committed to safeguarding children and vulnerable adults. Given the nature of our work, candidates will be subjected to due diligence checks and to enhanced background checks as appropriate.
About Alinea International Ltd.
Alinea is an international development consultancy providing technical and management expertise that helps people improve their lives. We work with governments, investors, companies and communities to create lasting change. Over 35 years, Alinea has successfully delivered more than 515 projects worldwide. alineainternational.com
About the Project
PROTECT is a defence and security sector reform program funded by Global Affairs Canada and implemented in Kyiv, Ukraine. PROTECT provides short-term expert (Ukrainian and international) deployment and capacity to reforms in the defence and security sector. The program responds to the needs of Ukraine’s defence and security institutions and agencies and focuses on building strong analytical approaches in gender equality; women, peace and security; and results-based management into reform initiatives, while lending expertise in the management of reforms.
PROTECT program outcomes are defined as follows:
- Improved governance and democratic accountability of Ukraine’s security and defence sector
- Improved planning, coordination, gender responsiveness and strategic analysis of security and defence sector reforms
- Improved implementation of reforms delivered through the Ukrainian security and defence sector
Under the direct supervision of the PROTECT Field Manager, the PROTECT Translator/Interpreter will be responsible to provide timely and accurate translation and interpretation services of program-related materials, including:
- Translation of documents and briefings from English to Ukrainian and Ukrainian to English;
- Consecutive interpretation from English to Ukrainian and Ukrainian to English during small-group events with counterparts from the Ukrainian Government;
- Simultaneous interpretation using provided technical equipment from English to Ukrainian and Ukrainian to English during large-group events with counterparts from the Ukrainian Government;
The PROTECT Program Translator/Intepreter will:
- Serve as the primary Translator/Interpreter for the PROTECT program during its interactions with the civilian and military officials of the Government of Ukraine;
- Ensure efficient, constructive, diplomatic, and professional communications with program counterparts in the Government of Ukraine;
- Consult with technical experts and Team Leaders to understand specialized concepts in order to translate them appropriately;
- Provide advice on cultural and linguistic significance of statements, conversations, situations, and documents during the course of PROTECT program activities.
- Translate from English to Ukrainian or Ukrainian to English relevant products to support the execution of the events of the PROTECT Program;
- Participate as a Translator/Interpreter in PROTECT program events (workshops, seminars, conferences, etc.) in accordance with the approved approach and methodology in a manner designed to achieve the objectives of the PROTECT program;
- Support the PROTECT program leadership in positioning and communicating the results of the PROTECT program to Ukrainian-language audiences;
Academic Qualifications and Experience
- Native fluency in Ukrainian language; professional fluency in English language;
- A university degree in translation or linguistics and at least 3 years of translation experience OR no university degree and at least 5 years of translation experience
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office package
- Ability work independently and according to tight deadlines
- Education and/or experience with terminology related to the defence and security sectors.
- Capable of working with and managing government-sensitive information;
Applicants should submit a cover letter and CV to SvitlanaU@alineainternational.com by Friday, September 10, 2021. Please include the position title in the subject line and state the approximate salary expectations as a monthly rate, in US$, inclusive of benefits. Please be prepared to provide contact information for three references.
Applications are encouraged from women, members of racial and ethnic minorities, indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, and other equity seeking groups.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted; no telephone enquiries, please.
For more information about Alinea, please visit our website: www.alineainternational.com