Job Title: Real Time Review of the Australian Humanitarian Partnership Anticipatory Action Fund Pilot
Project Name: Australian Humanitarian Partnership Anticipatory Action Fund Real Time Review’
Job Type: Consultant
Location of Position: Home-based with travel to Vanuatu, Timor-Leste, Solomon Islands and Papua New Guinea
Reporting to: Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning Manager, Australian Humanitarian Partnership Support Unit
Remuneration: Daily rate to be provided in financial proposal.
Indicative LOE/Time Frame: Up to 98 days until 30 June 2026.
Language Requirements: English is essential, Relevant skills in Bislama, Tetum and/or Tok Pisin
Application Deadline: 16 February 2024
- A cover letter is mandatory to be considered. Cover letters should effectively align your skills and experiences with the specific job responsibilities outlined in the position’s description, demonstrating your aptitude and enthusiasm for the role, your daily fee and current availability.
- Alinea International accepts electronic submissions only. Send your over letter and Expression of Interest in English to email@example.com till indicated deadline for applications.
- Only successful candidates will be contacted. No phone calls please
- Please download the link for TOR Anticipatory Action Fund – MEL Specialist ToR_Final
Applications should include the following:
- A cover letter addressing criteria (max 2 pages)
- Current curriculum vitae (maximum of 3 pages each)
- Proposed methodology (maximum of 4 pages)
- Indicative budget including consultant’s daily rate (maximum of 1 page).
Alinea is an international development consultancy providing technical and management expertise that helps people improve their lives. We work with governments, investors, companies, and communities to create lasting change. Over 37 years, Alinea has successfully delivered more than 1000 projects worldwide. alineainternational.com
Alinea International does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment and hiring process. All offers of employment or job opportunities with Alinea International that include any form of a request for payment of fees or collect information on bank accounts are fraudulent. Any requests for such payment or information should be refused and reported to your local law enforcement authorities for appropriate action and to Alinea International.
At Alinea International we value diversity, equity, inclusivity, accessibility and belonging in everything we do. We are an equal opportunity employer opposed to all forms of discrimination. We actively seek and encourage applications from people of diverse backgrounds recognizing that an inclusive workforce enriches our organization and achieves smarter, more innovative results.
Alinea is committed to the protection of children and vulnerable adults. Due to the nature of our work, all candidates will be subject to due diligence checks and extensive background checks where appropriate.
The Australian Humanitarian Partnership (AHP) is a partnership between the Australian Government and six Australian non-government organisations (NGOs). It is funded by the Australian Government. The AHP Support Unit is managed by Alinea.
Anticipatory action aims to shift humanitarian response from reacting to hazards to acting ahead of them. The AHP Anticipatory Action Fund trial will support AHP partners (Australian NGOs) to put in place actions prior to a hazard to reduce the impact of the disaster. Anticipatory action is expected to deliver several benefits, including: saving lives and livelihoods; preserving people’s dignity; and, providing value for money. The trial will take place in Vanuatu, Timor-Leste, Solomon Islands and Papua New Guinea.
About the Work:
The consultant will conduct a real-time review spanning the duration of the trial, as well as providing support to AHP partners on monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL) practices. He/she will help to identify successes and challenges in the implementation of the Anticipatory Action Fund as well as promoting partner learning and adaptation. More specifically, the consultant will: conduct a real-time review of the AAF Pilot; design, facilitate and document learning workshops in collaboration with AHP partners; and assist partners in the development of MEL guidance and tools.
- Real-time review preparatory report (two phases)
- Real-time review mid-point report
- Real-time review final report
- Design, facilitate and document learning events with AHP partners (in-country)
- Support AHP partners with MEL guidance and tools
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Higher academic qualification in humanitarian and development studies, evaluation or related field;
- Experience conducting program evaluations and reviews in the humanitarian sector, particularly involving people marginalised by age, disability and gender;
- Experience using mixed methods evaluation techniques, with approaches designed in response to the context of each evaluation, including appropriate data collection and analysis methods;
- Experience facilitating learning workshops and incorporating leaning and adaptation into programs;
- Experience in working with INGOs or NGOs;
- Demonstrated understanding of disaster preparedness, climate change adaptation and response, ideally in the Pacific and Timorese context;
- Understanding of key humanitarian and quality standards such as the Core Humanitarian Standards;
- A track record in applying ethical working practices, including humanitarian evaluation ethics;
- Outstanding communication skills, for example, excellent English writing skills and an ability to work effectively in a cross-cultural context including through translators.
- Experience implementing and/or evaluating anticipatory action/forecast based financing projects;