Deadline for applications: June 23, 2023
Job title: Gender Equality Specialist
Type of employment: Full-time employee
Position location: Canada (Ottawa-Gatineau or Calgary)
Citizenship: Applicants must be able to work in Canada
Language requirements: Bilingual English and French is preferred.
- To apply for this opportunity and submit your cover letter and CV (as one PDF), click Apply Now.
- Only successful candidates will be contacted. No phone calls please.
At Alinea International we value equity, diversity and inclusivity in everything we do. We are an equal opportunity employer opposed to all forms of discrimination. We actively seek and encourage applications from people of diverse backgrounds recognizing that an inclusive workforce enriches our organisation and achieves smarter, more innovative results.
About Alinea International Ltd.
Alinea is an international development consultancy providing technical and management expertise that helps people improve their lives. We work with governments, investors, companies and communities to create lasting change. Over 36 years, Alinea has successfully delivered more than 515 projects worldwide. www.alineainternational.com
About the Role:
The Gender Equality Specialist (GE) will be responsible for gender mainstreaming at all stages of the project cycle, in line with best practices in the development assistance sector. As a key member of programs team, the GE Specialist will be actively involved in project design, delivery, implementation, monitoring and evaluation, and provide gender advice and technical expertise to project staff, partners and other stakeholders. This includes capacity building and technical assistance to government, civil society and community stakeholders. This position will be based in Ottawa-Gatineau or Calgary, Canada, with regular travel to countries of intervention.
The main responsibilities of the GE Specialist will be to:
- Provide technical leadership for gender mainstreaming in interventions at different stages of the project cycle.
- Design and implement realistic gender strategies and action plans that will lead to positive gender equality outcomes.
- Integrate gender considerations into results-based management monitoring and reporting methods.
- Monitor and report on gender indicators and disaggregate data by sex to analyse results in each area.
- Conduct analysis, including gender-based analysis plus (GBA+), gender reviews and audits to assess barriers and ways to take concrete action on gender equality.
- Review and provide technical feedback on project results and reports to donors to ensure quality and full compliance with gender policy and progress towards gender mainstreaming in projects.
- Advise and support projects and partners to integrate gender into activities.
- Develop tools, frameworks, and resources to enable better integration of gender into projects.
- Identify successful project practices that can be featured in publications, communication materials and conferences.
- Prepare communication materials that highlight the project’s gender equality programming, successes and lessons learned.
Skills, competencies and abilities:
- Experience and demonstrated results in mainstreaming gender in development projects.
- Knowledge and experience in designing, managing, and implementing development projects in one or more intervention sectors such as girls’ education, women’s economic empowerment, women’s and girls’ rights, climate change, community mobilization, advocacy capacity building and citizen participation.
- Superior written communication skills in English and French.
- Knowledge of results-based management and Global Affairs Canada’s international development policies and priorities.
- Ability to work well with others and develop and maintain compatibility between project staff, subcontractors, consultants and beneficiaries of assistance.
- Ability to travel as required, to countries of intervention.
- Advanced university degree (master’s equivalent) in feminist studies, social work, international development, community development, or other relevant field.
- At least 10 years of experience in the field of gender equality, including 5 years in a similar position.
- Proven experience in a multi-sectoral, multi-country and multi-year project will be considered a major asset.
- Demonstrated ability to ensure gender mainstreaming in project design, implementation and monitoring and evaluation.
- In-depth knowledge of GBA+ and its application, as well as other Canadian or international best practices in gender equality.
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skills in English and French.